A Brief History of Terrence James Cain


Terrence James Cain was born on the 19th of May 1930 to David and Helen Cain. The youngest of four children. David, Eillen, Nora and Terry. He never spoke about his early life, other than he was part of a large family, with his uncles having played a large part in those early years. The family ocupation was at one time stevedores, but many other ocupations were tried, gambling and forgery were two. David Cain (Terry's father) had done time in prison as a young man for forgery. (It may have been GBH.) This must have been were Terry got his creative gene.

The War years

Terry, like most children at the time, found the outbreak of war exiting. This changed however when one morning he arrived at school to find half of his class mates gone. Hull was bombed very heavily in the war due to its been a large port. The newspapers of the time just called Hull 'a northern town'. Realising Hull was a dangerous place, David took a job as a lockkeeper and grounds man for a stretch of river near Pollington. This was after David had signed up and joined the army, only to be kicked out when conscription started and they got fit young men with two legs. ( David had lost a leg while in the army during the First World War). So David and Helen got their family to safety. These were very happy days for David who thought all his dreams had come true. He lived in the type of house that he had looked at in envy in earlier years. Terry was in his element too. Spending a lot of time talking to the prisoners of war at a nearby internment camp.

Terry and German

During his long talks with these prisoners, Terry learnt German. They were mainly fallen German airmen. These young Germans were more often than not upper class lads well versed in the popular ideology, vogue in Germany at the time. He picked up their ideology along the way. After all this was in the wake of natural selection, and survival of the fittest. So week after week Terry spoke to the prisoners. He would have been left in no doubt as to whom the master race was. It was the prism through which he saw life. He bought the Nazi propaganda, hook line and sinker. These views were not alien here in this country and were shared by certain members of the Royal Family. It was this that defined his view of the perfect family unit.


David and Helen moved back to Hull due to Helen missing her friends and the night life of Hull. They had taken a house down Craven st by 1943, and it was in July of that year David was killed during a bombing raid on the town, this left the family homeless and without a father. A tragedy and profound shock that would effect all the family in different ways. Terry was at Middleton St technical school at the time. His school reports show his schooling suffered but he shone at English. His teachers said that his English result showed his potential and that he would do very well. He won a scholarship to a grammer shool, but it would be another year before Terry got to Riley High School.

1945, Grammer School.

Terry started grammer school with high hopes, but depite working hard he quickly started to feel uncomfortable. He felt that the rich boys took the piss out of him. They all had new clothes and Terry wore donated clothes. His jacket carried a patch to say it had been donated and from whome (Early virtue signaling ) He dare not invite anyone to his house because it had a sign above the door saying who had donated that. (He had been bombed out and lost everything). The other boys all started to turn up on shiny new bikes. Terrys uncles built him one out of old parts. Terry felt emmbaressed. He nevey had any money what could he do.

In the summer of 1946 Terry left Riley High school and took up a job as a Barge Man. Soon after starting the job the barge had to deliver milk to the school he had just left. Despite pleading with the older Barge man not to do it, he had to carry the milk to Riley High School himself. The boys there were merciless and took the piss out of him. This scarred him for life, he hated the middle classes. He continued as a barge man for almost a year.

With money in his pocket Terry became a man about town. He enjoyed drinking, sharp suits and the life style. His older brother Dave was still overseas with the army, Daves wife was lonely so Terry took her out. This turned into an affair and she became pregnant. Terry signed up as a cabin boy on a ship that would take him as far away from Hull as he could get. He lied about his age.

The seaman, the communist.

So started his life as a Seaman. He would decribe this as the best time of his life. He really did sail the seven seas.

While Terry was on the other side of the world, on the 23rd January 1948 Terry's son Kenny Cain was born.

Terry embraced the life of a seaman, going to night school he rose to become an Able body Seaman AB first class. He also joined the Comunist party, he would be a fully paid up member for over five years. Some time in the early 1950s Terry fell in love with a New Zealand girl, the daughter of the mayor. He traveled to the same port in New Zealand many times and so the love affair blossemed. They became engaged and planned to mary as soon as Terry jumped ship. It was ilegal to jump ship but the Mayor said he would sort it out. So on the night he was to jump ship he went out for a drink with all his mates to say goodbye. They all got really drunk, a horendous fight broke out. The police were called. They were all arrested. The police wanting rid of them, before they had sobered up, put them back on the ship just before it sailed. By the time Terry came round they were miles away from New Zealand. No matter how hard he tried, he would never get back to New Zealand, He would never see his love again.

In 1952 he passed his gunnery school exams, it was part of the merchant navy defence scheme. Terry came back to Hull to attend gunnery school as he did for all his merchant navy exams.

Married Life.......To be continued

Terry's Death

On the 3rd of May 2014 at about 7.30am Terry Cain died. First on the scene was Peter Smith (Terry's nephew ) who falsely claimed to be 'next of kin' to the police. He told the police he would contact Liz and Maxine (Terry's children). No one contacted Liz and Maxine. They were the last to know, finally being told by the police on the 5th May at approx. 11am. That same morning, Peter and Sue Smith were removing the paintings of Terry Cain from his house in the knowledge that Terry's children still did not Know of Terry's death. Later that day they would claim, with arms folded and shifting from one foot to the other, that they could not find any way to contact Liz and Maxine. When Liz asked why they didn't use the phone book or google, Sue Smith compounded the lie by saying "I don't know anything about the Internet". Peter and Sue Smith denied Maxine and Liz the chance to see their fathers dead body before the autopsy.

Terry's Funeral

The funeral of Terry Cain took place on th 31st May 2014. All the details, not covered by the funeral plan, were dealt with by Maxine, Liz (Terry's children) and Brenda (Terry's partner). Maxine booked the 'Good Fellowship' as the 'after the service venue'. The funeral had to be delayed several days to allow Peter and Sue Smith to return from their holidays abroad.

The funeral was well attended by his neighbours, old and recent friends. He had outlived most of his old friends. It was the end of an era for many in attendance.

Peter and Sue Smith turned up dressed to the nines, Sue wore a green jacquard suit. The skirt was short. She carried two single red roses. They wanted to be seen, the centre of attention.

As the family, filed into the chapel, Peter Smith rushed in from the side and pushed Liz and Mac forcible out of he way to take up position next to Brenda and placing himself on the front bench of the chapel next to her, normally reserved for immediate family. Liz and Mac were forced to sit at the bench behind. The service was a humanist type where the minister did her best to paint a favourable picture of Terry, helped by a short story from Maxine Rogers. Maxine and Brenda chose the music with an original piece by Liz used in the three minutes of quiet remembrance. When leaving the chapel, Peter and Sue stopped the coffin on its way, 'to place their roses on the coffin'. Someone was overheard to ask Peter "What did you think of the service?" "I liked the words" Peter replied curtly. Later when Peter and Sue Smith where leaving the bar the mourners had all gone to, Peter thanked Liz and Mac for coming. Peter and Sue Smith really thought this was all about them.

Terry Cain left three children. Kenny Cain, Liz Cain and Maxine Cain now Maxine Rogers